Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Turtles

Hailey had a sleepover with Mimi and PopPop on Friday night. She had a great time. She took her work clothes because they had alot of "honey-do" projects and she was going to help them. They painted the railing on the front porch and Hailey really enjoyed that. While they were out working, PopPop came across a turtle. Of course Hailey wanted to keep it. So they put it in a big bucket so we could bring it home. By the time she got home with it, it was pretty stinky. She named it Runaway because it had already tried to get away once. When she brought it home, we put it out in the grass in the back yard and Frosty went nuts! She did not care for our new found friend! She barked at it as it hid in its shell. She walked around it and tapped it with her little paw. I got a video of it, but I think it takes up quite a bit of memory. I'll see if I can get it on here, though. Well, guess who wanted one, too? Hayden! As soon as he heard about it, he was wanting one, too. So, PopPop found him one on Sunday and I picked it up on Monday. His had orange spots all over it. He was super excited and named it Wiggily. They made them a "habitat" out under the fort of the swing set where it used to be a sand box. It is just dirt and grass now and the kids dug a few holes and put some water in them for the turtles. They fed them lettuce leaves, apple pieces, nightcrawlers (guess who did that?...Brian goes out and feeds them after the kids go to bed. I guess PopPop will have to find him one next! Haha!). Anyway, they have been great with them. The funny thing, though, on Sunday, Hailey took it upon herself to clean out the bucket that her turtle came home in. It was soooo funny! We got home from church and she went and changed. She came out wearing a surgical mask and carrying a pump of antibacterial soap from our bathroom! I was cracking up! I asked her what she was doing and she said, "Cleaning our my turtle's cage". Well, Hayden's ended up getting away. He was very sad. PopPop and Hayden have been on a couple of turtle hunts since but so far, no luck.

0 comments: